Effective from: 28 October 2016.
Scope of policy
What kind of information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you provide when you access the App. This may include your name, e-mail address, or society membership details. Personal information submitted in this way may be checked against our access control database, hosted by a third-party hosting company, and/or added to our customer databases. This information will be updated if you inform us of any changes.
- Records of correspondence if you contact us. We request personal information (such as your name, email address and other contact details) from you when you contact us with subscription management queries, technical problems, to comment on the App, or when you ask for information about how to use the products and/or services made available in the App. Personal information submitted by you via the "contact us" feature will not be added to our customer databases and we request it simply so that we can respond to you about your query. Statistics regarding the types of queries submitted to us via the "contact us" page may be collated by us in aggregate form so that we can effectively monitor the App and improve levels of service.
- Details of your use of the App including (but not limited to) traffic data, weblogs, and other communication data and the resources that you accessed.
- Usage and viewing data, and IP address when you use our App or services that are related to our App.
- Information you provide to us when you use our App. This includes information provided by you when you use our App on third-party platforms or sites e.g. social networking sites, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account.
How do we use your information?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To help us understand more about how our App is used and to improve our App.
- To detect, investigate, and/or prevent activities that may be unlawful and/or which violate our policies.
We may use information in our customer databases to send you information about us and our products and services that we think may be of interest to you electronically or otherwise.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax, or email that you object to being contacted or being contacted in a particular way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you use.
When do we share information?
We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
We share your information within the OUP Group. We also share your information with our licensors, our agents, our distributors, and our suppliers, which assists us in making our App and any related products and services available to you (e.g. our hosting supplier).
We publish many journals on behalf of learned societies. Where you subscribe to a journal, we may share your subscription details with the society for whom we publish the journal, which they may use to invite you to join the society, or for other conferences and events organized by or for the society.
If you are subscriber through your learned society, your personal information may be used to enable us to verify with the learned society that you are a member of that society.
If we believe that your use of our App or the related services are unlawful or damaging to others, we reserve the right to disclose the information we have obtained about you to third parties to the extent that it is reasonably necessary in our opinion to prevent, remedy or take action in relation to your conduct.
We may also disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; in order to enforce or apply any agreements or licences with you; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of OUP, our employees, affiliates, agents, distributors, licensors, suppliers, and/or our customers. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction. If any part of our business (including those of our affiliates) is sold or integrated with another business, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchasers and their advisers.
If any part of our business is sold or integrated with another business, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchasers and their advisers.
We may engage network providers to show you other products or services you may be interested in. To find out more about the identity of the advertising network provider(s), please point the cursor of your mouse on the top right hand corner of the adverts(s) and left click.
While the third-party advertisers may obtain your information via their advertising network solution, we do not provide any personally identifiable information to adverting network providers or third-party advertisers.
Security and our partners outside Europe
The transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted through the Internet; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.