Updated on: 11/07/2016
Effective from: 11/07/2016
This legal notice is specific to this website ("Website") and overrides any other legal notices appearing elsewhere on Oxford University Press websites. By using the Website, you are agreeing to the practices set out in this statement.
You may access certain parts of the Website without registering or providing OUP with your details.
As the information on the Website may be incomplete, out of date or inaccurate and may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, Oxford University Press ("OUP", "we", "us" or "our") reserve the right to update the Website at our sole discretion. Thus, such information may be changed or updated without notice.
We reserve the right to make changes to this legal notice. Any changes we may make to this legal notice will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, we will also notify you by e-mail. Certain provisions of this legal notice may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages of the Website.
Usernames and passwords
Where you have registered on the Website and have been provided with a username and password, you agree not to make available your username and/or password to anyone. If there has been a disclosure of your username and/or password, you agree to notify us promptly of such disclosure so that OUP can take appropriate security measures and to provide you with a new username and password.
Under the licence to access restricted content on the Website accepted by a subscriber (which may be you as an individual or an institution to which you are affiliated) you are permitted for the purposes of research, teaching, and private study to:
- search, view, retrieve, and display portions of restricted content
- electronically save portions of restricted content; and/or
- print out single copies of portions of restricted content
in each case, subject to any specific restrictions which appear on particular pages of the Website. Under the licence accepted by the subscriber, you may not:
- remove or alter the copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear on the Website;
- systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts for any purpose except as permitted by law or as authorised by OUP;
- display or distribute any restricted content on any electronic network, including without limitation on the Internet and the World Wide Web (other than the institution’s secure network, where the subscriber is an institution);
- permit anyone to access or use restricted content (other than other users authorised by the institution, where the subscriber is an institution); and/or
- use any content on the Website whether restricted content or otherwise for any commercial use.
Reuse of free-to-view content
OUP may make certain content available on this Website (and/or send you our newsletter or webfeed if requested) which is available for you to view without charge.
You may view, reproduce or store copies of such content provided that the content is used only for your personal, non-commercial use. Any use of such content in whole or in part must include the customary bibliographic citation, including author attribution, date, article title, journal title, and URL and MUST include a copy of the copyright notice.
The rights granted above are personal to you and may not be exercised by any other person. If you make use of the content described above, you may not:
- remove or alter the copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the content;
- systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the content for any purpose except as permitted by law or as authorised by OUP;
- display or distribute any part of the content on any electronic network, including without limitation the Internet and the World Wide Web;
- permit anyone to access or use the content; and/or
- use all or any part of the content for any commercial use.
For details on how to obtain permissions to use the content beyond that described above, please see the OUP Journals Rights and Permissions page.
Open Access articles
Notwithstanding the above rights, if an article has been published under the terms of a Creative Commons Open Access licence, the permitted reuse terms are defined by the respective licence. Articles published under a Creative Commons Open Access licence can be identified by looking at the copyright line of each article.
OUP actively operate 3 variations of Open Access Agreements, for details of the rights permitted by each licence see links below:
CC-BY-NC-ND - https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
If other Creative Commons licence types are indicated, please refer to the specific licence terms on the Creative Commons website for details.
Author self-archiving and reuse
We allow authors to self-archive and reuse their work subject to our Publications Rights Policies on this Website and to the individual journals’ author self-archiving policies which can be found on the homepage of each journal.
Text and datamining
In addition to the rights granted above, you may carry out text and data mining on the Website for non-commercial purposes. For full details, please see our Third Party Data Mining Policy.
Intellectual property rights
We and/or our licensors are the owners of all intellectual property rights in the Website, and the Website and the materials on the Website are protected by intellectual property laws around the world including copyright and trade mark laws. Subject to the terms of this legal notice and any other licence agreements between you and OUP, all such rights are reserved and no materials may otherwise be copied, modified, published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without our prior written permission. OUP, Oxford and/or any other names of products or services provided by Oxford University Press and referred to on the Website are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Oxford University Press.
Notwithstanding the foregoing and where applicable, copyright in each illustration that appears on the Website is owned by the rights holder(s) named in ‘Picture Details’ window for that illustration. All rights are reserved. No illustration from the Website may be copied, modified, published or broadcast or otherwise distributed.
Oxford University Press makes no warranties or representations of any kind concerning the accuracy or suitability of the information contained on the Website for any purpose. All such information is provided "as is" and with a specific disclaimer of any warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose, title and/or non-infringement. Oxford University Press makes no warranties or representations of any kind that the services provided by this Website will be uninterrupted, error-free or that the Website or the server that hosts the Website are free from viruses or other forms of harmful computer code.
You are solely responsible for your choice in selecting this Website product.
In no event shall Oxford University Press, its employees or agents be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of opportunity, loss of data, loss of goodwill, loss of anticipated savings or loss of profits resulting from the use of the Website even if OUP has been advised of such loss.
Without prejudice to the foregoing paragraph, OUP's liability arising out of or in connection with your use of the Website and/or this legal notice whether in contract, tort, misrepresentation, under statute or otherwise will not exceed the price you paid for your subscription to access this Website.
Neither party's liability for personal injury or death caused by negligence or for fraud is excluded or limited.
The exclusion and limitation set out in this legal notice only applies to the extent permitted by law and is without prejudice to any express provisions to the contrary in any written licence or subscription agreement which you have with Oxford University Press in respect of the use of any online service provided via the Website.
Links to other websites are provided by OUP in good faith and for information only. OUP disclaims any responsibility for the materials contained in any website linked to the Website. In addition, a link to a non-OUP website does not mean that OUP endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content, or the use, of such website or the products and/or services offered on such website. It is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojans and other items of a destructive nature.
While we endeavour to ensure that the Website is normally available 24 hours a day, we shall not be liable if for any reason the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period. Access to the Website may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from the Website any material:
- that is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience;
- for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals;
- which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in any country in the world; or
- which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
Global nature of websites
You recognise the global nature of the Website and thus, agree to comply with all applicable local laws in your jurisdiction when using the Website.
Information we publish on the Website may contain references or cross-references to our services and/or products offered that are not announced or available in your country. Such references do not imply that we intend to announce such services and/or products in your country.
You agree that this legal notice shall be exclusively governed in accordance with the laws of and the courts in England and Wales. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this legal notice will preclude OUP from applying to any court to bring an action for the infringement of its intellectual property rights.
If you have any concerns about material which appears on the Website, please contact Jnls.Cust.Serv@oup.com.
Thank you for visiting the Website.