For more than 25 years, the International Society of Travel Medicine (ISTM) has been on the forefront of the travel medicine community promoting safe and healthy travel on every continent. With close to 3,500 members in almost 100 countries, the ISTM is the largest membership society dedicated to the advancement of the specialty of travel medicine. Members include physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals from the private sector, academia and government agencies.
In addition to the Journal of Travel Medicine, ISTM activities include:
- My ISTM, an active online community where members have access to exclusive travel alerts, educational tools and informational resources, as well as the ability to communicate directly with other members around the world through TravelMed, the ISTM listserve.
- A bimonthly newsletter, Travel Medicine News, and special Educational and Informational Publications only available to ISTM members.
- A directory of ISTM Member Travel Clinics in 90 countries linked to from the WHO, CDC and other websites.
- Scientific Meetings, including travel medicine congresses (CISTMs), regional conferences (RCISTMs), and short courses.
- An Online Learning Curriculum of over 100 programs that cover a wide range of travel medicine topics
- The first and only international credential in travel medicine, the ISTM Certificate in Travel Health™, available to physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other travel medicine professionals.
- Travel Medicine-related Research Programs including grants, and travel awards for select travel medicine conferences, and GeoSentinel, a worldwide communication and data collection network for the surveillance of travel related morbidity.
- ISTM Committees, Professional and Interest Groups of Members focusing on specific practice areas, issues and society programs.
- ISTM Member Advantage Program, where Members receive substantial and exclusive discounts on programs and products they use every day.
The ISTM is governed by the following Officers and Board Members:
President: Annelies Wilder-Smith, Singapore
President-Elect: Leo Visser, The Netherlands
Immediate Past President: David Shlim, United States of America
Secretary-Treasurer: Peter Leggat, Australia
Gerard Flaherty, Ireland
Davidson Hamer, United States of America
Marc Mendelson, South Africa
Claire Wong, New Zealand
Executive Director: Diane Nickolson, United States of America