Please note: pop-up blockers must be turned off in order to listen to podcasts
Using Ficin-Treated Red Cells to Help Identity Clinically Significant Alloantibodies
Dr. Lance Williams discusses the pros and cons of using ficin-treated red cells to identify alloantibodies
- Opportunities to Enhance Laboratory Professionals’ Role On the Diagnostic Team
Dr. Julie Taylor discusses the role of laboratory professionals on the diagnostic team
- Lab Safety
Dr. Davis discusses safety culture in the lab and beyond
- Rivaroxaban Therapy and False-Positive Lupus Anticoagulant Screening Results
Dr. Murer discusses rivaroxaban therapy and lupus anticoagulant screening results
- Malarial infection in pregnancy
Dr. Rahaman discusses a case of placental malaria
- Rapid Diagnosis of Naegleria fowleri and a Rare Case of Survival
Dr. Rebecca Levy et al discuss a patient who survived the "brain-eating amoeba."
Read the paper here.
- The DAT Will Set You Free
Dr. Jian Chen discusses a false negative DAT result
- Clinical Conversations
In the first podcast of their series, Kris Maday and Michelle Brown discuss effective communication with the clinical care team.
Special thanks to ZDoggMD for In Da Lab
- Pathology-based medical missions
Dr. Patrick Reese discusses medical missions
- Emerging Colistin Resistance
Dr. Lutgring discusses antimicrobial resistance include emerging colistin resistance
- Zika Virus Information for Laboratory Professionals and Pathologists
Dr. Michael Diamond from Washington University in St. Louis discusses Zika Virus
- Transitioning from the bench to a leadership position
Carlo Ledesma discusses making the transition
- Cultivating leadership relationships
Dr. Joshua Hayden and Juan Garcia discuss how good relationship help laboratory operations
- Computational Approach to Annotating Variants of Unknown Significance in Clinical Next Generation Sequencing
Dr. Wade discusses NGS
- Benchmarking to Identify Practice Variation in Test Ordering: A Potential Tool for Utilization Management
Drs. Schmidt and Straseski discuss how data can improve test utilization
- Chronic Wound Biofilms: Pathogenesis and Potential Therapies
Drs. Clinton and Carter discuss wound biofilms
- Blood Labeling webinar
- Encrusted Cystitis Secondary to Corynebacterium glucuronolyticum in a 57-Year-Old Man Without Predisposing Factors
Dr. Curry discusses the paper in the Spring 2015 issue
- Benzodiazepine in a Urine Specimen Without Drug Metabolites
Dr. Kampfrath discusses the paper in the Spring 2015 issue
- Hemolysis in patient specimens
Dennis Ernst discusses hemolysis in patient samples.
- MALDI-ToF for susceptibility testing
Dr. Nathan Ledeboer discusses the latest research.
- Leukopheresis 101
Drs. Pham and Le discuss how a pathologist advises a clinician on leukopheresis.
- Reflect AFB Staining
Karen Strenge discusses her paper about reflex AFB staining. Is it truly necessary?
- Empowered managers
Dennis Ernst discusses the difference between empowered managers and other managers
- Forthcoming CLSI documents
Dennis Ernst discusses phlebotomy CLSI documents and guidelines
- Podcast: answers to your questions about Ebola preparedness
- Web-Based Coagulation Test Interpretation
Dr. Quesada discusses a web-based method for interpretation of coagulation test results
- E. coli O157:H7
Dr. Lori Racsa discusses laboratory diagnosis of E. coli O157:H7
- cohort studies
Drs. Pham and Chen talk about cohort study design
- Ebola Virus information for laboratory professionals
Dr. Eric Blank discusses the Ebola Virus and laboratory safety
- "Brain Eating Amoeba"
Dr. Lori Racsa discusses the clinical presentation and diagnosis of Naelgeria fowleri
- Women in STEM careers
Janet Koster talks about women in science careers
- Diagnosing paroxysmal cold hemoglobinemia
Authors Slemp and Slayten discuss recognizing and diagnosing PCH
- Signet Rings in Body Fluids
Dr. Alex Thurman discusses signet rings and pseudo signet rings in body fluids
- Automated urinalysis and body fluid analysis
Dr. Geoffrey Wool discusses automated urine and body fluid analysis
- Blood culture contamination
Dennis Ernst discusses how to lower blood culture contamination rates
- Nurturing employees
Dennis Ernst discusses how managers can turn new hires into long-term employees
- Apheresis 101
Dr. Huy Pham discusses apheresis: what it is, how it's performed, and when to use it
- New acute leukemia
Dr. Alex Thurman talks about what to do when presented with a possible new acute leukemia smear in the middle of the night
- Clinical application of MALDI-TOF, part 2
Dr. Nate Ledeboer discusses the applications of the MALDI-TOF platform for identification of Mycobacteria and fungi
- Clinical applications of MALDI-TOF
Dr. Nate Ledeboer discusses the applications of the MALDI-TOF platform in the clinical microbiology laboratory
- Case Control Studies
Dr. Pham and Dr. Chen discuss case controls studies
- Risk management in phlebotomy
Dennis Ernst discusses the 9 questions phlebotomist should be able to answer
- Identifying Cyclospora
Dr. Pusch discusses laboratory identification of Cyclospora. See the pictures here.
- How do we monitor the new anticoagulants?
Dr. Wool discusses the new anticoagulants
- Getting Physicians to Trust Your Potassiums
Dennis Ernst discusses preanalytical reasons for incorrect potassium results
- Laboratory Analyzers in Space
Dr. Crucian describes how NASA determines if an analyzer is suitable for use on the International Space Station
- G6PD and Transfusion Medicine
Drs. Pham and Francis discuss G6PD Deficiency and transfusion medicine
- Randomized controlled trials
Everything you wanted to know about RCTs but were afraid to ask.
- Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
Dr. Charles Beavers discusses the paper Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation: Laboratory Support for Management and Treatment
- Decentralized Phlebotomy
Dennis Ernst discusses the repercussions of decentralizing this essential department
Dr. Racsa discusses laboratory considerations in regards to MERS
- Breaking the Wall
Dennis Ernst discusses breaking the wall between the laboratory and nursing staff.
- Malaria Identification
Dr. David Webb discusses malaria identification. See the photos accompanying this podcast.
- E-mail transmission of PHI
Some dos, don'ts, and myths about sending PHI through e-mail.
- Old vs. New Blood
Would using fresher blood products be better for patient outcomes?
- Carbapenem Resistant Enterobacteriaceae
Learn about CRE and how laboratories recover it
- Fecal transplants and the FDA
What are fecal transplants? How do recent FDA guidelines regulate their use?
- Blood components for hemostasis
What blood products to use and when to use them
- TRALI review
An excellent review of transfusion related acute lung injury
- Analyte stability
How stable are your analytes?
- Quality Indicators for the lab
This podcast discusses quality assurance parameters
- HIV "cure"--how close are we?
Recent news of a toddler "cured" of HIV had the world reeling. But are we really close to a cure?
- Quality in Phlebotomy
The "dark side" that no one wants to mention--quality issues in phlebotomy
- Performance Evaluation of the UniCel DxH800 Coulter Cellular Analysis System
An overview of one evaluation study
- MicroRNA in cancer diagnostics
What is mRNA and how can it help diagnose cancer?